12 Home Staging Mistakes You Didn't Know You Were Making
Jun 23, 2020
One of the reasons we started Staging Studio's training programs is that we kept seeing homes staged with these 12 mistakes. We want to give YOU the expertise you need to sell homes faster and for a higher profit.
This list reveals the home staging mistakes real estate agents make ALL the time.
- Art hung too high. The center of the art should be about 62” above the floor, which is a comfortable eye level for most people.
- Too small of an area rug. The rug should be large enough for at least the front legs of the sofa and chairs to be on it. That means at least an 8’x10’ for most normal-sized living rooms. 5’x7’ will look skimpy and bring down the perceived value of the home.
- Excess furniture. Always allow at least 36” of walk space.
- Intense paint colors. Keep it light and neutral. This is not the time to get crazy with bold and bright color.
- Everything is beige. Yawn. While keeping the walls and floors neutral, add some pops of color in the pillows, accessories, art, and flowers.
- Withering plants. The perception is that if you can’t maintain a plant, you probably haven’t maintained the HVAC, water heater, etc.
- Skipping the holiday bonus for your cleaning lady. Everything must be white-glove, sparkly, spotless - from the baseboards to the ceiling fans and everything in between.
- Allowing pets to remain in the home for showings. Remove every trace of pets, including your furry friends themselves. Some buyers will start sneezing just at the sight of a chew toy.
- Displaying personal photos, diplomas, and memorabilia. You want buyers to focus on the home, and not be distracted trying to calculate if you were in the same class as their cousin who attended your alma mater.
- De-cluttering by jamming everything into the closets. Storage space is high on your buyer’s list. If there is not enough room for your stuff, they know there will not be enough room for their stuff.
- Neglecting the patio area. Outdoor living is trending on the priority lists for today’s buyers. Create an irresistible stay-cation ambiance.
- Offering a carpet allowance. Go ahead and make whatever repairs and updates are needed. Buyers are as busy as you are and will opt for the hassle-free, move-in ready dream home.
NEVER make these mistakes again, and learn soooo many more crucial staging secrets by becoming a certified Staging Design Professional™. You'll know exactly what to do to help your clients net the greatest profit on selling real estate.
Ready to learn more? Check out our full list of online courses to help you reach your goals.
Staging Studio Blog
Thanks for stopping by our award-winning blog. If you loved what you learned, feel free to share and comment below. Questions? Ask away, we're here to help.